Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Teacher Talk

How to teach English as foreign language for kids?

Efri Shan

Efri Shan

Indonesia

Next week, I will teach English for kids.They are about 6 years old.This is my first experience in teaching English as foreign language.The main purpose is to enhance their speaking ability.What subject should be taught first?

10:19 AM Mar 04 2010 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Efri Shan

Efri Shan

Indonesia

I’ve learnt bwt it but we’re lack of practice at the time cuz of big class.I mean here, should I teach them from the basic?I think there are at least 10 method or approach in teaching EFL students. I’m still confused abwt what method should be applied.I just want u to share ur experience as an EFL teacher.:-)

04:58 PM Mar 04 2010 |

MsX

MsX

Russian Federation

Efri, you are supposed to follow three main principles while teaching 6-year-old kids:

1. The topics should be related to kids interests (toys, games, friends, family, etc.),

2. You should conduct your lessons in the form of a game.

3. Since 6-year-old children's attention is very unstable, in order to attract the kids' attention your should conduct your lesson in a very quick tempo constantly changing forms of work.

It's strange that you don't have a supervisor on your teaching practice who usually explains these things.

07:26 PM Mar 04 2010 |

Efri Shan

Efri Shan

Indonesia

Thank u for ur advice Ulya n MsX. I’ll try to contact my supervisor.To be honest, I seldom meet with him cuz he is very busy. But I’ll send him an email!

11:04 PM Mar 04 2010 |

kynung

kynung

Indonesia

maybe u can try method of kinder garden u can ask kg teacher about that

08:35 AM Mar 07 2010 |

brahimberrabah

Algeria

hi dear
the usual things to start with is the english alphabet. you can’t immagine the number of activity you can do. at the first stage young learners like to play with the language so use games they also like to sing so use songs. don’t hisitate to contact me at:

11:29 AM Mar 12 2010 |

Blever

China

Hello,everyone!I am a freshman.Is there any one here?

11:36 AM Mar 13 2010 |

Blever

China

I ever don not know how to control the web.

11:39 AM Mar 13 2010 |

Efri Shan

Efri Shan

Indonesia

Brahimberrabah:
I couldn’t see ur contact. Would u mind resending it?

01:51 PM Mar 14 2010 |

patrickbrazil

Brazil

Try a comparative aproach between mother language and foreing language.

Use images, say its name twice in English to the children repeat, after you aks "how to say – the image -" in English.

After you create a game, like memory, or continue the sentence.

for example:

student a says "I study English"

Student b says "I study English and Portuguese"

Styudent c says "I study English, Portuguese and Italian".

01:11 PM Mar 15 2010 |

Efri Shan

Efri Shan

Indonesia

Thank u for ur advice Patrickbrazil. I’m preparing the material to teach. It’s quite difficult for me cuz this is my first experience in organizing the material for children. Ur advice help me a lot.
Regards

11:23 PM Mar 15 2010 |