Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Airborne rabbis fight off swine flu !!

:-(

India

A group of rabbis and Jewish mystics have taken to the skies over Israel, praying and blowing ceremonial trumpets to ward off swine flu.

About 50 religious leaders circled over the country on Monday, chanting prayers and blowing the horns called "shofars".

The flight's aim was "to stop the pandemic so people will stop dying from it," Rabbi Yitzhak Batzri was quoted as saying in Yedioth Aharanot newspaper.

The flu is often referred to as H1N1 in Israel, where pigs are seen as unclean.

Full News : http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8196807.stm

04:42 PM Aug 15 2009 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Lovely Fabian

United Arab Emirates

Stop blowing things out of proportion..

Quit calling it swine flu; stop blaming the poor pigs!

The virus came from humans.. The pigs in my area are well taken care of (w/ vitamins, private vets, etc.).. They don't eat feces and are being bathe more often than the persons taking care of them.. Okay?

06:00 PM Aug 15 2009 |

:-(

India

OK!

06:13 PM Aug 15 2009 |

Lovely Fabian

United Arab Emirates

Yeah, scientists have just started to find out that the virus did not come from the swine that's why they renamed the virus H1N1 instead..

Virus is mutating..  It's not just found in swine.. History has it that the most sensational viral disease of the modern time (SARS) that claimed so many lives in Southeast Asia came from birds and yet, people are still eating fowls..

Pigs are crying foul!!!

03:46 PM Aug 21 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

from birds and yet, people are still eating fowls..

Pigs are crying foul!!

ha ha ha…..  

12:06 PM Aug 22 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Hindoos are all vegetarians , never eat meat, above all mutton, and  beef.

You heard wrong.  There are many people who do eat meat. Infact majority of them do eat meat. 

Not eating meat is an extention of Non Violence (Ahimsa) to all Animals(Pashu) and not just humans. All Dharmic religions like Bhuddhism and Jainism have same Philosophies. 

02:16 PM Aug 22 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

60% of Indians are not vegetarians according to a 2006 study in The Hindu

04:14 PM Aug 22 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Yes I did purposedly wrong

Not all, but 60 percent are vegetarians and never eat meat

it is forbidden according to their "religion" 

It is opposite, 60% do eat Non Veg. Eating Meat is not Forbidden. Killing is forbidden. That is the reason why I said, it is an extention of Ahimsa against Animals. 

We also respect animals, coz they r creations of God to us…

Good for you… 

but what you do instead of eating them, is worshipping them…

Some people do worship… It is their wish…. 

Telll me what is the Animal that you worship in your house ? Donkey ? Monkey ? Beef ? Snake ? Rat ? 

oooo… Can I take Cat? .... Pleeese pleese…. pleeeeeeeeese

04:40 PM Aug 22 2009 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegetarianism_in_India

04:58 PM Aug 22 2009 |

Lovely Fabian

United Arab Emirates

Wikipedia is the topic now???

Ahahaha!

You people are cute..

07:26 PM Aug 24 2009 |

gkisseberth

Germany

Gkiss: by the way what I said is true, Look it at wikipedia. 

Tell me where it says here that 60% of Hindus or of Indians are vegetarians. (from the wikipedia article Java posted)

According to the 2006 Hindu-CNN-IBN State of the Nation Survey[1], 31% of Indians are vegetarians, while another 9% consumes eggs. Among the various communities, vegetarianism was most common among JainsBrahmins at 55%, and less frequent among Muslims (3%) and residents of coastal states respectively. Other surveys cited by FAO [2], and USDA [3] estimate 20%-42% of the Indian population as being vegetarian. These surveys indicate that even Indians who do eat meat do so infrequently, with less than 30% consuming it regularly, although this is often for economic rather than religious or other reasons. 

02:32 AM Aug 25 2009 |