Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

come full circle

come full circle

Date: Dec 07 2017

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“On the third verse, I basically turn it around on myself and now I have three sons and to them, I’m as pristine as Mike Tyson was to me. I don’t want to let them down, so it comes full circle.”

—Singer Brandon Flowers, speaking about The Killers’ new album, Wonderful, Wonderful (The Rolling Stone)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

finish where something began

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

When you were a kid, maybe you had a hero who disappointed you. Maybe your best friend forgot your birthday. Maybe, your parents didn’t come to your sports game. Or what about the opposite? Maybe, your hero saved the day! Maybe, you were really sad about something, but your best friend gave you a small gift that made you happy. Maybe, your parents did come to your sports game and cheered for you the whole time! Sometimes, these moments can be the beginning of something.

You do something similar or the exact same thing when you’re older. You are the person to disappoint someone or make them happy. This is an example of something coming full cirlce. This is because circles end where they start—you begin where you end. As you see, this can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Brandon Flowers feels like something might come full circle for him soon. When he was younger, his favorite boxer Mike Tyson lost in a very famous fight. He was absolutely crushed! Now, Brandon Flowers has kids. He is famous just like Mike Tyson. But he is afraid that he will one day disappoint his children like Mike Tyson did to him. For him, he does not want this moment to come full circle.

What reminds you of your past? Do you want something to come full circle?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“My life came full circle when I got my degree. I dreamt of it since I was a kid.”

“Everything came full circle when his girlfriend got revenge.”

“Things in our past will often come full circle.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

a2020 A complete chain.
by a2020

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast