Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Beekeeping
Beekeeping

Learn English meaning of 'beekeeping'

Date: Jul 05 2017

Themes: Food, Hobbies, Pets

Grammar: Articles, Quantifiers, and Determiners

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In 2006, beekeepers started to see many bees dying. This was a sad thing because bees help to pollinate most of the plants that give us food. Scientists don’t understand why bees are dying. There are many possible reasons. However, one thing that can help is to give bees good homes. Now, beekeeping is a very popular hobby in the US.

Some people are terrified of bees. They are afraid of being stung, and they might have an allergy. But many people are not fazed by bees. They stay calm in a swarm and can work easily with these small creatures. The have a good symbiotic relationship with their bees. They take care of them, and the bees give them tasty honey.

Marni’s neighbor is working with a swarm of bees. Will she also become a beekeeper? Learn more in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Kelsey

Kelsey

Marni:  Kelsey, check out my neighbor. He’s got a giant swarm of bees.

Kelsey:  Oh, my gosh! Yeah… um… Wow, do you think he’s OK?

Marni:  Yeah, I think… I mean, this is all intentional. I think he’s becoming a beekeeper. I mean he’s got the protective gear on, so… I think… I’m looking at the bee boxes, you know, and I’m thinking he’s going to get some honey.

Kelsey:  Yeah, it looks like they’re kind of swarming him.

Marni:  I don’t know. He doesn’t seem fazed so I guess that’s a good thing. Bees are good, right? I mean, they pollinate things of us. We need them. There’s a whole symbiotic relationship with bees and nature.

Kelsey:  Um… sure… I’m just terrified of bees. I’ve had a lot of bad experiences. Yeah, I’ve been stung a lot, and I just cannot imagine being that close to that many bees!

Marni:  Yeah, I’m sorry… I didn’t realize that had happened. Do you have an allergy to bees?

Kelsey:  No.

Marni:  No? Just…

Kelsey:  I’m just terrified.

Marni:  I see, that makes sense.

Kelsey:  Yeah… um… I don’t know how he’s doing that.

Marni:  Yeah, I don’t know either, but I’m so curious. I’m going to find out more. I mean… I don’t know…

Kelsey:  Wait! Do you think you’re going to be a beekeeper?

Marni:  I don’t know. It’s fascinating, right? I mean, look at that, and I love, love, love, love honey!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Articles, Quantifiers, and Determiners" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is watching her neighbor prepare some bee boxes for a swarm of bees. Kelsey begins to watch, too, but she is terrified of bees. Kelsey is afraid, but Marni tells her that her neighbor wants to be a beekeeper. He will take care of the bees, and they will give him honey.

Marni thinks that being a beekeeper could be fun and delicious. However, Kelsey does not agree. She has been stung by bees in the past, and she doesn’t want to be near them. Marni asks if she is allergic to bee stings. She isn’t. Instead, she is just very afraid. Marni feels bad for her, but she is still going to learn more about beekeeping.

Do you enjoy being with bees? How do you use honey?

Comments

pogoda2

pogoda2

Russian Federation

I’m lover beekeeper. I have around 60 bee box.It is very interesting  work- hobby.

11:29 AM Jul 12 2017 |

WALOSuper Member!

Mexico

GREAT LESSON LIKE ALWAYS !!!

THANKS!

09:28 PM Jul 06 2017 |

berlucchi

berlucchi

Italy

I like honey. And the bees are very important for the agriculture. For the flowers and the nature.

I live in to a farm and I see many bees but I’m not allergy at a sting of bees.

In italy there are many theft of swarm because are considerate as gold.

06:25 PM Jul 06 2017 |

1 person likes this

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I love bee honey, it’s very delicious and therapeutic too. We kept bees for a while a few years ago and I got stung once or twice by them. It hurt at the second of the sting, but wasn’t that bad. The worst part was the swelling of the spot that has been stung.

Bees are cute insects and very useful. I’d love to have the experiece of keeping them again.

11:11 PM Jul 05 2017 |

manal_njr

manal_njr

United States

I like to enjoy a spoon of honey at moring it gives you energy  just I love it.

My dad is used to be a beekeeping so I know how useful these insects are and how you can take care of them but I dont imagine myself a beekeeping just I love enjoying the honey.

03:59 PM Jul 05 2017 |

GWTA

GWTASuper Member!

Germany

I don`t like sweet food at all. But i like bees. They are very intresting and important annimals.

Ramses98

Ramses98

Germany

I like honey very much. We have some beekeepers in our village where I buy my honey from. And if you´re ill, it´s very well inside a cup of warm milk

02:49 AM Jul 05 2017 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

Being with bees is not a thing that fazes me!

When I was a kid was stung a lot, however, it didn’t make me feel terrified about a swarm of bees.

Now, about honey I don’t even remember when was the last time I had it!

11:46 PM Jul 04 2017 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast