Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Preppers
Preppers

Learn English meaning of 'preppers'

Date: Jun 14 2017

Themes: Health, How To, News

Grammar: Contractions and Abbreviations

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Earthquakes! Floods! Fires! It’s the end of the world as we know it! So, you better be prepared. Doomsday is scary to envision. The end of the world will probably be pretty ugly. We might run out of food or water. We might get very sick. Maybe, there will be a nuclear war. Maybe, there will be zombies. Many people believe if you are not prepared, you will not survive.

A prepper is a survivalist who thinks doomsday is coming soon. It might be tomorrow. There are many websites and television shows about preppers. Preppers spend a lot of money preparing for the end of the world. They stock up on canned food, water, and candles. A prepper might build a bunker in his backyard or basement. His neighbors will think he is crazy. Preppers might worry and overreact, but it can’t hurt to make friends with a prepper.

Listen as Marni tells Kelsey about how she is preparing for doomsday in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Kelsey

Kelsey

Marni:  So, Kelsey, I just recently stocked up all of my canned food, and I feel like I’ve got at least a three-month supply. Just, you know, waiting. Just in case, you know. Doomsday, it’s like, right around the corner.

Kelsey:  Oh, yeah? I mean, that’s cool. But do you really think it’s going to happen, like, soon?

Marni:  Oh, I mean, it’s just so important to be prepared, just in case it does. I mean, I never envisioned myself a survivalist, but in these crazy times one can never be too prepared.

Kelsey:  Yeah, I mean, I’m all for, like, having an earthquake kit and extra food in case of like, a natural disaster. But, I don’t know, like, don’t take this the wrong way, but I just think some people overreact and do way too much worrying about these problems that aren’t even here.

Marni:  Well, sure. But, I mean, don’t you think it’s good to be prepared, just in case?

Kelsey:  If doomsday’s going to come, and everything’s going to end, I don’t need food. I can just die.

Marni:  You don’t want to survive? I mean, come on! Like, if you’ve got, you know, rations, you’re going to survive.

Kelsey:  Sure, for a little while, but if it really is doomsday, then everyone’s just going to die.

Marni:  Well, I’m not going to be dying. I’m going to be in my bunker. I’m going to be OK.

Kelsey:  We’ll see how soon it comes.

Marni:  Oh, we will.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Contractions and Abbreviations" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni tells Kelsey that she has stocked up on canned food, and she is ready for doomsday. She thinks the end of the world is just around the corner. Kelsey isn’t quite so sure. Marni says she never envisioned herself as a survivalist but thinks that being prepared is a good idea.

Kelsey thinks that survivalists overreact. Kelsey also says that preparing for doomsday won’t do you any good. If it’s the end of the world, everyone is going to die anyway. Marni says that she is not planning on dying. She is going to be safe in her bunker with all her food rations.

Do you think doomsday is just around the corner? Do you have a survival plan in case of a natural disaster?

Comments

pogoda2

pogoda2

Russian Federation

Who died for him is will  doomsday.

12:06 PM Jul 06 2017 |

Sid_indore

Sid_indore

India

Doomsday….well you won’t be able to do anything about it so enjoy today, forget the doomsday. but Preppers are very good material for a script of any movie. Some hv already made.

11:09 AM Jun 17 2017 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

“Earthquakes! Floods! Fires! It’s the end of the world as we know it!”

Mudslides, typhoons, tornadoes, volcanoes….

Although the word means the end of the world, it is seldom used that literally. “Preparation for Doomsday” is preparation for disaster. Many things might separate a community from food, water, sewer service and electricity. 

01:42 AM Jun 15 2017 |

Seiyfk

Seiyfk

Turkey

if you believe the holly books ,there will be doomsday sooner or later..all world,all lifes will end completely.Noone will get rid off from this the end.

in this case, no need any preparation for doomsday.

if you dont believe the holly books,

in this case ,Doomsday isnt important and no need the preparation .

the best preparation for doomsday is to be a good human,to pray,to help people,to try for better world,to make people happy..:))

10:36 PM Jun 14 2017 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I think it’s better to spend this money on the moment instead of stocking up for doomsday because none will survive it. It’s all money and efforts going down the drain.

Actually I don’t have like an earthquake kit or anything. Just the first aid box.

10:35 PM Jun 14 2017 |

2 people like this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

The doomsday will come only for pagans, people who don’t believe in the Word of God.

08:47 PM Jun 14 2017 |

1 person likes this

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Real preppers are stocking up their souls with the Holy Spirit. Not with canned food, flour to avoid natural disaster.

08:45 PM Jun 14 2017 |

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Before the doomsday come, there’s Rapture, Rapture. The second coming of the Lord JC

08:43 PM Jun 14 2017 |

WobblyJoe

WobblyJoe

United States

Wow. The people here who prep are prepping in response to many things, some preppers are preparing for a nuclear attack, but others are worried about other types of disaster.

I’d feel pretty stupid surviving a disaster and then starving to death when all I had to do is store enough beans and rice to last a while. 

We here have learned that in a disaster, the government will not be much help. Even a couple of weeks of food might mean the difference between recovery and anarchy.  Even people who don’t “prep” keep emergency food. 

Stock up. You won’t be sorry if you ever do need it. 

08:11 PM Jun 14 2017 |

Eric_

Eric_

China

This topic reminds me the movie “The Day After Tomorrow”.  

Facing the natural disaster, we are so weak. 

I don’t have any survival plans for the doomsday coming. Like Kelsey said, we could just die…lol 

All we can do is protecing the environment now. 

12:49 PM Jun 14 2017 |

Likes (7):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast