Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Get Out
Get Out

Learn English meaning of ‘Get Out’

Date: May 26 2017

Themes: Alternative, Pop Culture

Grammar: Comparing Quality

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Horror movies can be a lot of different things. Some people think they are too gory, terrifying, and violent. But horror movies can also be funny, intelligent, and interesting. They can be a mash up of everything! Sometimes, they have a lot of social commentary. Sometimes, you need to watch the movie twice to pick up on all the details, symbols, and themes.

Get Out is a new, controversial, and interesting horror movie. It explores the topic of racism and class in the suburban areas of the U.S. Jordan Peele, a comedian and actor, wrote and directed the film. He made the film scary but tempered it with humor. Some people say that the film is more suspenseful than horrifying.

Marni loved the film Get Out. Listen as she tells Jordin about it in today’s English lesson.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jordin

Jordin

Marni:  Jordin, I just saw a really wonderful movie. It’s called Get Out.

Jordin:  Oh.

Marni:  Have you heard about it?

Jordin:  Yeah. Isn’t that supposed to be super scary?

Marni:  Well, it is kind of a mash up of horror and social commentary on racism.

Jordin:  Oh.

Marni:  But, it’s also tempered with some humor… and it’s just a really great film!

Jordin:  But are there like the scares where they, like, have the music go really loud all of a sudden? And it makes you so scared!

Marni:  It’s… I would actually argue that it is more suspenseful than scary. It’s got some like really great, classic horror film… I mean, it kind of moves in this direction of like a really great horror film plot. But it’s so smart, and well done, and it’s just really interesting!

Jordin:  It sounds good. I just am so nervous about how scary it will be! I’m afraid I won’t be able to sleep afterwards.

Marni:  Oh, I… Well, okay, I do like horror films, so I am biased. But, I didn’t have that problem. I just… I couldn’t stop thinking about it because there was just… I really want to see it again because I feel like it’s one of those films where you miss a lot. And re-watch it, because you pick up on things. But… I think, I really thought it was one of the best films I’ve seen in a long time. Really good acting.

Jordin:  That’s awesome. Maybe you could come see it with me again and hold my hand the whole time?

Marni:  I will do that for you.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparing Quality" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni tells Jordin she saw a really interesting movie called Get Out. Jordin asks if it was really scary or not. Marni says that it is definitely a horror film, but the movie is also a social commentary on racism. It has humor, too. Marni says it’s just a really great film! Jordin asks if it is one of those horror films with really loud and scary music. Marni says it is more suspenseful than scary.

It is kind of like a classic horror film, but really smart, well done, and interesting. Jordin says it sounds good, but she’s nervous about how scary it will be. She’s afraid she won’t be able to sleep after watching it. Marni says she could be biased because she really loves horror films. But she really wants to see it again. Jordin asks if Marni would see it again with her but hold her hand during the film!

What have you heard about Get Out? Do you think horror movies are interesting?

Comments

nadaghazaly

Egypt

this movie is already in my (to watch) list ..

07:01 PM May 30 2017 |

1 person likes this

ml2000

ml2000Super Member!

Canada

I’m not a fan of horror movies. 

06:19 AM May 28 2017 |

1 person likes this

krystynaSuper Member!

United States

The math test is harder the history test. Is it really correct ?

03:35 PM May 26 2017 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

No, I haven’t heard any of the “get out”.  No, I don’t think the horror movies are interesting. I don’t like watching  the horror movies.  Maybe I would think that I couldn’t understand the meaning of the horror movies. So I am not interest in the horror movies.  The same time I couldn’t stand the scenes of cruelty which is showed in the horror movies. 

The music of the horror movies  make me uncomfortable. 

01:57 AM May 26 2017 |

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast