Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

nerve-wracking

nerve-wracking

Date: May 11 2017

Themes: Celebrity, Fashion, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“I feel like I obviously work with Vogue a lot, but in a different way, and it’s kind of nerve-wracking.

—Model Kendall Jenner, speaking about her new fashion line (Keeping Up With the Kardashians)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

intensely stressful; stress causing; making one feel nervous

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

Have you ever been in a stressful situation? A situation that made you nervous? Maybe, you had an interview for a job that you really wanted, or perhaps, you had to give a presentation for work. You might have had to take a difficult exam or do a complicated project for school. Or maybe, you have experienced other nerve-wracking situations, like getting lost in an unfamiliar place or being at a party where you didn’t know anyone.

If something is nerve-wracking, it makes you feel nervous or stressed. We often use this expression to talk about work or school, but you could use it for anything. For example, it can be nerve-wracking to ask someone out on a date. It can be nerve-wracking to look for a new apartment. For some people, it can even be nerve-wracking just to get out of bed every day. Life is full of stress!

We might think that celebrities don’t feel as much stress as regular people, but model Kendall Jenner is feeling a lot of stress about her new fashion line. She said on her TV show, Keeping Up With the Kardashians, that it was nerve-wracking to work with Vogue magazine designing new clothes.

What makes you feel nervous or stressed?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“That math test was so nerve-wracking! I hate math. I’m so scared that I failed completely.”

“Oh, my goodness! My date with Jeff was so nerve-wracking. He’s a really nice guy, but for some reason, I feel really nervous when I’m with him.”

“My job interview went well, but it was totally nerve-wracking. They asked me so many difficult questions.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

Stressful.
by La Princesse de la vie
julito1 Stressful
by julito1

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

It’s really a nerve wracking occasion when you’re late on your interview

03:53 PM May 18 2017 |

1 person likes this

baranjankhan

Afghanistan

Im own nerves wraker.

11:11 AM May 16 2017 |

1 person likes this

hermitlady

China

Of course there are many things which make me feel nervous or stressed in the road of growing up.

When I was a child, if I didn’t see my parents and wait for a long time I still saw them after leaving school, even the day was night, I felt very nervous , sometimes I cried.

When I participated various competitions, I felt nerve-wracking before the competition beginning during my school times.

I felt very nerve when I presided over a meeting for the first time when I worked.

Yes, I felt the nerve-wracking when I didn’t contacted my boyfriend during my love. The most nerve things was that he didn’t love me that time.

Now , I felt less and less nerve except when my child gets sick. Yes, for a mother, the most nerve-wracking thing is the child’s thing. 

07:28 AM May 11 2017 |

1 person likes this

Likes (3):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: