Jane Eyre
简体
Jane Eyre
简·爱

Present Progressive Tense

Date: Jul 18 2011

Grammar: Present Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Jane Eyre is an unusual heroine. She isn’t especially pretty, she’s poor, and she has no friends. She isn’t flashy or wild. She doesn’t even have cute clothes.

Nonetheless, the novel Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte is one of the most famous and beloved books in English literature. And the new movie version of Jane Eyre has been praised as a powerful adaptation of the classic novel, with the lead actress giving the most dynamic performance Jane Eyre has ever seen. Hear Amy and Ella talk about Jane Eyre and what makes a good movie adaptation of a novel.

简·爱是一位不同寻常的女主角。她相貌平平,一贫如洗并且没有朋友。她不爱慕虚荣,也不缺乏教养。她甚至没有一件像样的衣服。
尽管如此,夏洛蒂·勃朗特的小说《简·爱》仍是英国文学中最著名且最受读者欢迎的文学作品之一。新版电影《简·爱》被誉为是对经典小说《简·爱》的最完美改编,影片中女主角演绎出迄今为止最鲜活的简·爱。请听艾米和艾拉关于《简·爱》的谈话,看看是哪些因素造就了如此优秀的同名电影改编巨作。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Amy

Amy

Ella

Ella

Amy:  Are you a fan of movie adaptations of classic novels?

Ella:  I think I am. I like it better than comic book adaptations. But I feel like with the movies it’s really hard to keep it true to the books because there’s so much detail.

Amy:  I am a sucker for movie adaptations of books, like I have to just see them even though I often end up being disappointed. But being an English major, I just…I just feel compelled, I have to go see my favorite books brought to life. But I saw one recently that I actually thought did an amazing job, and that was Jane Eyre.

Ella:  Yeah, I saw that too. It was pretty good. How did you feel about it being true to the story line?

Amy:  I think when you’re adapting a book, the most important thing is that you stay true to the sort of feel or atmosphere of the book, and I thought that that movie did an incredible job of that. Like it totally captured the weirdness and the spookiness of the novel.

Ella:  Definitely.

Amy:  Did you like the story?

Ella:  I did. This was kind of a big deal when it first came out because it was the first female character in which she wasn’t a damsel in distress.

Amy:  And she’s…the character of Jane Eyre is sort of…in a way she’s kind of hard to love, because she’s not very pretty, she’s poor, she doesn’t have any friends. But I thought the actress did an amazing job of making her interesting and likable in spite of that.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amy and Ella both saw the new movie adaptation of Jane Eyre. Amy likes to watch film adaptations of classic novels, even though she’s often disappointed by the film versions of her favorite books. But Jane Eyre is an exception. Amy thinks it’s an excellent adaptation of the book. She says the movie did an especially good job of capturing the atmosphere and feelings of the book.

Ella enjoyed Jane Eyre as well. She thinks the character of Jane Eyre is interesting, because she was one of the earliest strong woman characters in English literature. She doesn’t act like a damsel in distress. That makes her a great heroine, even if she isn’t very beautiful or remarkable.

What qualities do you think make a great hero or heroine?

Comments

samine_sh

samine_sh

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i read the book in english and persian both.and i  listend to its E book.it has such a nice lovable story.

i wish it was just a little in favore of feminism.lol

07:31 PM Jun 05 2014 |

1 person likes this

samine_sh

samine_sh

i read the book in english and persian both.and i  listend to its E book.it has such a nice lovable story.

i wish it was just a little in favore of feminism.lol

07:31 PM Jun 05 2014 |

1 person likes this

hoseiny

hoseiny

have either of you friends read jane eyre novel? i have read it some years ago in basic language english to improve my english. it was interesting and i recommend you to read it.

06:05 AM Dec 16 2013 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

I will wait for your conclusion, Eduardo Runner ;)

08:36 AM May 04 2012 |

Eduardo Runner

Brazil

I bought this book weeks ago but I didn´t read it yet…. it will be the next one in my list…so, I will return here and comment it….

08:12 AM May 04 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Jane Eyre is my favourite novel. 

I have seen several kinds of the movie adaptation of Jane Eyre. I like them all but book is much much much better. 

As Zari says when you read the book you create  your own movie in your mind.

“What qualities do you think make a great hero or heroine? ” 

- qualities for hero: to be a man with strong personality with inner power to go ahead, to make the right decsions, to be goal-seeking, wise, clever, honest, attentive, brave and not selfish.

-qualities for heroine:  to be a woman with kind heart,  caring, unconditionally loving , faithful, honest, mentally powerful to the obstacles of life.

Smile 

08:05 AM May 04 2012 |

Zari

Zari

Azerbaijan

I have read the book and i have seen the movie.

I liked book more than the movie designed by another peson .

While reading the book i see my own movie in my mind and it’s every time differ from other one. My movie is better and the best for me:) 

07:11 AM May 04 2012 |

aurora8330

Hungary

I have seen the film and i have read the book too.Both of them was amazing.But I have read a book from Jasper Fforde :The Eyre Affair.It is a very intelligent and interesting book also about Jane Eyre!:)It’s worth reading!

05:29 PM Nov 06 2011 |

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

wow

Jane Eyre , at the present time , i’ve been reading that amazing novel , but haven’t finished it yet

well , in it’s begining it was amazing , and I hope it’ll remain so

of course , the successful actor should live in the carachter , by that way , he can impress his audience

I didn’t see the film , but i hope to see it soon .. i prefer to see the story in movies than reading it in a novel.Smile

04:16 PM Nov 06 2011 |

lady diana

lady diana

Syrian Arab Republic

i hav’not read the book..but i saw the movie ,,really it was great one

07:48 PM Jul 23 2011 |

amirkh58

that is a right story.this dicussion is my interest.

02:41 PM Jul 22 2011 |

Honey-pig

Honey-pig

China

It’s a special story among the classic novels. I read it when i was in middle school, i was crazy about the American and European literature at that time. Like Amy, i also prefer to watch film adaptations of classic novels. I saw the old earlier version of Jane Eyre, and also willing to enjoy this new one. Hoping it won’t dissapoint me.

09:22 AM Jul 21 2011 |

wwongsapun

wwongsapun

Thailand

I ever read Jane Eyre it’s favorite book worm that I have. It’s a good book. I have not see movie, But I like to follow image into a book when I read it.

01:29 AM Jul 21 2011 |

saif babiker

Sudan

it is very very good story

06:49 PM Jul 20 2011 |

mickee85

mickee85

Philippines

I thought I am the only one who doesn’t know about the story, but after reading your comments I’m glad I am not alone smiles. The story seems interesting, I love the characteristic of the heroine. I want to read it and watch its movie, since Amy said it is true to the book – this trigger me.

Qualities of a great hero or heroine? well, I think when he/she has a good heart, strong and wise.

02:40 PM Jul 20 2011 |

smile10

Saudi Arabia

nice

but where can i find the movie? i need to watch it.

07:42 PM Jul 18 2011 |

MUHAMMAD92

MUHAMMAD92

Saudi Arabia

the qualities that need hero or heroin,patient,selfconfident,goodhearted,intelligent.

07:37 PM Jul 18 2011 |

nenembl

Argentina

A hero or heroine must be  strong-minded, corageous, self-assured and  more than that HONEST

06:54 PM Jul 18 2011 |

Gentleman4

Saudi Arabia

varry good

12:11 PM Jul 18 2011 |

aaa989796twtw

Taiwan

My favorite classic novel must be The Whale

11:00 AM Jul 18 2011 |

Likes (26):

See all >

Share this lesson: