Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Say A Little Prayer

Say A Little Prayer

Date: Dec 08 2020

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Religion has been around as long as humans have been on earth. Over the centuries, people have developed all kinds of ways to explain the mysteries of life and death, and to connect with themselves.

There are many religions. Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism, Shinto, Sikhism and Taoism are some of the more common religions. But there are countless variations on spirituality around the world. For some folks, walking in the forest or listening to music can be a spiritual experience.

Although religion has been a source of personal peace for many, religion has sadly also been a cause of war and repression throughout history.

Listen to Erin and Kevin talk about the spiritual life.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Erin

Erin

Kevin

Kevin

Erin:  I think worship is a pretty primal instinct for most people. Um, I studied philosophy and theology in school and I think it’s actually kind of a natural instinct for people to want to express themselves. I mean, I know that there’s a lot of institutions that take it to an extreme, or, like, are really harsh, but if you kind of sit back and look at the big picture, I think it’s kind of a primal thing. What do you think?

Kevin:  I would agree with that. I mean, in terms of worship, I wouldn’t cons… I’m not a quote unquote church-going person, but I’m definitely a spiritual person, and believe in a higher being, if you will. Not necessarily male, I don’t believe that. Uh, but um, definitely I don’t think we just are sort of here and then gone.

Erin:  yeah. I agree. I don’t think we’re just here and gone either. Um, I just really think it can be a really centering thing for people, like when they have time to focus or meditate, um, you know, talk or pray with the higher being that they believe in and stuff, I think it, I think it can help people grow a lot, like, you know, just center ‘em and stuff. I think it’s probably a healthy thing.

Kevin:  And I think the trick is, we live in a society where talking about worshiping and religion is in many ways taboo… in some groups, in other groups that’s all they talk about…is to find a center. I have no problem with someone who is religious or not. I mean, and I think that’s the key is accepting people for their beliefs and…

Erin:  And engaging people. Just talking, like, respectfully.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Erin studied theology in school. She has concluded that worship is a human instinct for people.

Kevin says he is not a Christian. He does not consider himself religious, but he does believe in something bigger than himself. He believes we have a spirit.

Erin thinks that praying or meditating can be a healthy way for people to be more in touch with themselves.

Kevin says it can be difficult to lead a spiritual life.

Erin and Kevin agree that it is important to accept people no matter what their spiritual beliefs. Better yet, talk to people about what they believe.

Do you consider yourself religious or spiritual? How do you explain the mysteries of the universe?

Comments

EVAfrommexico

Mexico

Nobody should force other to follow his beliefs:  ”You can not force them to believe, only advice them trough Coran. Those who fear my advices, will reconsider”. No for violence. Im for love, for peace, for respect as God teaches us. 

04:49 AM Jul 06 2016 |

englishlrnr

Pakistan

I am religious. The God created us to love  creatures and to guide the human toward peace and prosperity in this world and also in hereafter.

08:22 PM Jun 30 2016 |

Drmahsa1995

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i believe in God alot.. The universe was  created because of God’s purpose to enter into man . Without God, the entire universe is empty and dead, and without God, man is an empty vessel….........“Oh God!
You are the Creator of the heavens and the earth,
and You are the mystery of the universe!
Without You, my life has no meaning.
myGod! I open my heart to You. Come into me!”

05:59 PM Aug 16 2013 |

1 person likes this

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

yaaa religious I love my religion ;) ......

12:49 AM Dec 10 2008 |

1 person likes this

2girls

Poland

you don't have to agree with different religions but you should treat people with respect

11:15 PM May 09 2008 |

kicker1234

Pakistan

there is no god accep ALLAH

07:06 AM Apr 07 2008 |

mim_dica

mim_dica

India

THE MOST CONCISE DEFINITION OF GOD

the most concise definition of god in islam is

1. ''say:he is Allah,the one and only.
  2. "Allah the Eternal,Absolute.