Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
How to Write an Essay

How to Write an Essay

Date: Feb 21 2008

Topic: Writing

Author: Ocean-SA

Lesson

How to Write an Essay 

Many friends of mine ask me about the right way of writing an essay. There are certain steps one must follow to make a good essay. 

First Step: The Topic 

There are two different types of topics. If your objective is t write about something in general ,  you may choose a topic such as "Food. However, if your objective is to write an analysis or an specific topic, you may choose a topic such as "Fast Food". 

Once you set the topic, you are ready to move on to the next step.

Second Step: The Diagram + The Outline 

The Diagram:-

(A)You need to draw a circle, a square, or whatever shape you like in the middle of an empty paper and write the topic in it. (B) Then draw 3-4 lines from the center out into the page but make sure that you separate them evenly. (C) Then draw a circle, a square, or whatever shape you like at the end of each one of these lines. (D) Write your main ideas inside these shapes. If you are trying to explain a process, you want to write the steps that should be followed. However, if you are writing a debate, you need to write your best arguments. (E) Now that you have wrote the main ideas, you need to draw 3-4 lines from each idea out into the page. At the end of each of these lines, draw another circle , a square, or whatever shape you like and In each shape write the facts or information that support your main idea.

Now that you have done this… You are ready to move on. 

The Outline:-

When you write the outline you need to do the following:

1: Write the topic at the top of the page.

2 : Write the Roman numerals I, II, and III, spread apart down to the left side of the page.

3 : Write the main ideas that you have about your topic next to each Roman numeral.

4 : Under each Roman numeral, write A, B, and C down to the left side of the page.

5 : write the facts or information that support that main idea next to each letter. 

Here is an example >> Click here

Now that you made the basic structure for your essay, you are ready to continue.

Third Step: Write The Thesis Statement 

The point of writing a thesis statement is to tell the reader about the topic and the points that will be making. 

You need to have a look at your outline or diagram and decide on the points that these ideas suggest. What do the main ideas say about your topic? 

The thesis statement will be in two parts:

A) The first part states the topic. "Saudi's Culture"

B) The second part states the point of the essay. " has a rich and varied history" 

Now that have done this ..it is time to write the the Body Paragraphs. 

Fourth Step: write the the Body Paragraphs:

At this point, all of the preparation you have been through will be put to work.

(A) In the body of the essay, explain, describe, or argue the topic you have chosen.

(B) Every main idea you have in your outline will become a paragraph. If you wrote three ideas than you have three body paragraphs. 

The Basic structure of Every Body paragraph:

1. Write down the main idea in sentence form.

2. Write down the supporting facts or information.

3. If you like, you can write a summery for each paragraph.

Fifth Step: Write the Introduction and Conclusion 

By now, your essay only needs two paragraphs: the introduction and the conclusion. These two paragraph give a point of entry to and an exist from your essay. 

(((Introduction)))

The Introduction should attract the reader's attention and gives an idea of the essay's focus.

A) Start with an attention grabber.

* You may use the following strategies:

"Startling information, Anecdote, Dialogue, or Summary Information" 

B) If the attention grabber was only a sentence or two, try adding one or two sentences that will lead from your opening to your thesis statement.

C) Finish the paragraph with your thesis statement. 

(((Conclusion)))

The Conclusion is important because it brings closure to the reader and gives a summery of all your points. You only need to write 3-4 sentences. There are no set formals to write the conclusion. Just review the main points or simply say what do you feel about the topic. 

LAST STEP: Editing and final review

Even though you have completed all the paragraphs of the essay, you need to do the following: 

1- Reordering your paragraphs.

Check the paragraphs which one is the strongest. It is really useful to rearrange the paragraphs where the strongest always comes at the beginning. 

2- Check the instructions for the assignment.

When you prepare a final draft it is necessary to do the following:

a) Are your margins correct?

b) Have you titled it as directed?

c) What other information (name, date, etc.) must you include?

d) Did you double-space your lines? 

3- Check your writing.

The revision of your work is important. Make sure that you read and reread your paper. 

While doing this ask yourself the following questions:

Does it make logical sense?

Do the sentences flow smoothly from one another?

Have you run a spell checker or a grammar checker? 

Once you have checked your work and did the necessary final touches.

.I would say "Congrats!" Your essay is finished.. 

Good Luck

Yours

Ocean-Sa

Comments

Alemia

Alemia

China

Look, thank you.

09:40 AM Jul 19 2016 |

ABHIJITAK

ABHIJITAK

India

Indeed it is good information by admin. I liked it. Now I have made my mind up to follow this guidelines at the tiime of essay writing.

10:14 AM Feb 10 2014 |

ABHIJITAK

ABHIJITAK

India

Indeed it is good information by admin. I liked it. Now I have made my mind up to follow this guidelines at the tiime of essay writing.

10:14 AM Feb 10 2014 |

sheal.shifa

Pakistan

thanks admin for such an useful information about essay writing. from now on i am fully confident that i will easly write an essay keeping all the points in mind whaich have been discussed there.

04:58 AM Mar 25 2013 |

crazyloo

Yemen

really…..fantastic

10:24 PM Feb 19 2013 |

NegarSevgi

Canada

big like

11:09 PM Jan 07 2013 |

leojin

leojin

China

<body><p>Thanks!This is really a good essay!

09:21 AM Dec 24 2012 |

seungmanlee68

South Korea

THANKS

02:36 AM Dec 24 2012 |

1 person likes this

aminoo2

aminoo2

Algeria

thanx

02:00 PM Dec 16 2012 |

kaladze

Iraq

Well done

12:04 PM Dec 03 2012 |

1 person likes this

123zzzz

123zzzz

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

it is not complete

05:01 PM Nov 14 2012 |

bakhtiary2004

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

great

06:26 PM Oct 26 2012 |

Ksenia-g

Ksenia-g

Russian Federation

thanks you very much. i will be use it

06:06 PM Sep 24 2012 |

adrienne grace

Cameroon

thanks a lot for your guidance and could you please add some sentences to make it sounds more natural.

04:44 PM Sep 24 2012 |

Switzerland

thank u its useful

01:15 PM Sep 10 2012 |

gusmao.aming

India

thank u… it’s a guidance for me how to write in my next test..

04:39 PM Aug 29 2012 |

Hamal

Nepal

It is useul for me so I would like to thank u for this lesson. 

01:48 AM Aug 21 2012 |

saryaaaa

Saudi Arabia

thanks a lot for this information

06:20 AM Jul 29 2012 |

alhajammar

Yemen

thanks alot. i learned alot to write a well writen easy . i had known some but i have got alot of information just now on how to write an easy. thanks alot.

08:45 AM Jul 24 2012 |

japan_trans

Japan

I also want to know nice phrases to make my sentences sounds more nicer and natural…

01:43 PM Jul 02 2012 |

1 person likes this

Likes (34):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: