Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

English Talk

Can you correct my exercises?

kittymagic

China

Here some exercises I did.I am not sure of the corret answer.Can you correct them?

exercise A: “Knowing no more of Mencken than I did at the moment,...” the pattern “no more…than” means “only”,
emphasizing the smallness of the number of amount. so the above phrase can be paraphrased as “I knew only very little about Mencken at the time…”
Now rewrite the following sentences using this pattern.

1.The area they are working in is only thirty meters square.
The area they are working in is no more than thirty meters square.

2.Ignore what he said. He is only a puppet.
Ignore what he said because he is no more than a puppet.

3.Sorry I can’t lend you any money because I have only ten dollars
Sorry I can’t lend you any money because I have no more than ten dollars.

exercise B: The pattern “cannot…enough” in “I could not read enough of them” means somethi
ng like “it is impossible to overdo …” or “no matter how much more you do, you will never overdo it” or “the more,the better”.
So the above sentence can be paraphrased as ” It was impossible for me to get tired of reading novels.”
Note that the word “enough” in the pattern can also be replaced by “too”, “over” or “sufficient”. Rewrite the following using the pattern.

1.The earlier you begin the practice,the better.
You cannot begin the practice early enough.

2.It is impossible to overvalue good manners.
Good manners cannot be overvalue enough.

3.No matter how highly you estimate the importance of reading aloud, and of rewr
iting again and again, you will never overdo it.
You cannot estimate the importance of reading aloud, and of rewriting again and again highly enough.

12:58 AM May 25 2004 |